Some Weird and Wonderful Facts (Part 2)

Hello once again everyone. As you can tell from the title, this is a 'follow-on' post to a previous post that I have done. I'm not sure whether these particular type of posts interest you, but if worst comes to worst, you can surprise someone you know by sharing one of these facts with them (please feel free to share it with someone you don't know, as well, but don't be downhearted if they don't seem as surprised or excited by your vast expanse of knowledge).

All of the facts I have acquired below originated from this particular website and there are plenty more facts that may interest you: http://www.tealdragon.net/humor/facts/facts.htm

1. A jellyfish is 95% water.
This is hardly surprising to me, considering that we humans are also generally more than 50% water (depending on our age). However, I am intrigued to know the constituents of the remaining 5% of the jellyfish. But, considering that jellyfish have been roaming the Earth's seas for at least 500 million years, I don't think their body composition has posed a huge threat to their survival. Obviously within its natural habitat (being the water, if anyone was particularly curious), the jellyfish looks very much as a stereotypical jellyfish would, however, once removed from the water and placed on a sandy beach (not recommended), one can see the true nature of the jellyfish. I'm not implying that in the water that they are completely docile and when removed they get incredibly angry and throw a tantrum, but visually, they look very slimy and gelatinous, which sort of helps this fact seem more believable.

"I'm made of mostly of water, but look how beautiful I am"

2. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave. 
I am slightly dubious about the accuracy of this fact, because I was not under the impression that bats made conscious decisions on which they were planning to turn upon leaving a cave, because as they can fly, surely it shouldn't matter. But, that could just be my general ignorance (subtle hint towards QI). I also find it hard to believe that bats always choose a cave, whereby in order to get to any destination, the initial direction would be left. It just seems a little far-fetched for me. Clearly the bat isn't aware that they are always turning left, it is possibly something observed by an expert during some sort of experiment or investigation. But, on the other hand, bats could be incredibly superstitious animals and turning right when exiting cave could be deemed as very bad luck. Will we ever know the truth?
"Guys, come on, you know that left is the other way"

3. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse shows the horse with both front legs in the air, then the person has died in battle. If only one of the horse's legs is in the air, then they have died of wounds received in battle. But, if all four legs are secured firmly to the ground, it signifies that they have died of natural causes. 
Well, this seems to be an interesting strategy adopted to communicate the means of death. It's not something that I've been looking out for, but I suppose it is a justified way of portraying their bravery and contribution to the various war efforts. I wonder what it would signify, if all four legs of the horse were in the air. My theory is that, a levitating horse probably means that the person was abducted by aliens, or that that particular horse was amazing at dancing. I'm not entirely sure, what do you think?
"Hello kids, I died in battle (well, that's what everyone else says)"

4. In the White House, there are 13,092 knives, forks and spoons. 
I'm not certain whether this relates to the number of knives, forks and spoons each or as a collective number. But, nevertheless, I presume that the cutlery is distributed amongst however many kitchens or dining rooms the White House contains. I am slightly inclined to believe that the White House has a separate 'Cutlery Room', but that would be bizarre and pretty useless for anything other than housing various types of cutlery. I assume that some of these knives, forks and spoons are more valuable than others and where those particular pieces are housed, only the top White House employees will know the whereabouts of (please note that this is completely imaginary, I have absolutely no idea where the cutlery is housed, I am just attempting to make cutlery seem more interesting).
"Anybody need an extra spoon, we've got plenty?"

5. The Boston University Bridge is the only place in the world where a boat can sail under a train, travelling under a car, which is driving under a plane. 
Yes, confusing and complicated as it seems, this bridge consists of four layers of different types of transportation. The bridge itself, I think, was built in the 1920s and then later on, it became famous for the different layers. I, myself, have never seen this bridge, other than within pictures but I'm sure it's quite magnificent to see the ultimate culmination of modern-day engineering and technology, along one bridge. If you have seen it, please feel free to comment.
Car: "Oh man, I think I'm on the wrong bridge, I don't remember seeing a train last time"

And there we have it, five simple, small facts that may spark an interest in you. They may seem slightly bizarre, but I think only the strangest things in the world are the most interesting. What do you think?
If there are any other interesting facts that you know, please feel free to share them with me. Thank you so much for reading.

Adios. xxx

Share:

0 comments